25 October 2004
Construction of the Maumee River Crossing was suspended on Saturday when part of a launching gantry collapsed just hours after work had resumed following an earlier accident. Work on the approach spans had been on hold for eight months since the fatal collapse of the other gantry.
The US$220 million cable-stayed precast segmental bridge is Ohio Department of Transportation's largest ever single construction project.
ODOT assistant director Richard Martinko announced the latest cessation following this weekend's failure of a cable lowering a support leg. The launching gantry will now be dismantled and will no longer be used on the project, he said. "Fru-Con will now have to develop a different, simpler means to complete the approach span construction.' Work will continue in other areas, such as the construction of the pylon and production of segments at the casting yard.
In a written statement, Fru-Con project manager Dave Herron said: "We are deeply grateful that none of the workers was harmed today. What happened is beyond explanation. With our client, we had spent eight months and employed the best experts in the country to make this equipment safe for operation. Based on all modifications made, all parties agreed it was safe to move ahead. Now we are back to square one. This truss will no longer be used on this project. Our first step will be to investigate what happened today and then, with our client and the unions, determine what will follow. While we do not understand what happened, we deeply regret what occurred."