Bidders will be required to bid on two options: design, build and finance; and design, build, operate and finance. The cost of the bridge was estimated at US$170 million in 2017.
The government launched the tender in September 2020 and 54 companies expressed interest. In total, 44 completed the registration process and were provided with the prequalification documents; 21 submitted their responses by December’s deadline.
The prequalified bidders are:
- China State Construction
- Ballast Nedam Infra Suriname
- China Geizhouba Group
- JV of China Railway International Group, China Railway Major Bridge Engineering Group, Reconnaisance & Design Institute
- JV of China Road & Bridge Corporation and Peutes y Calzadas Infrastructuras
- JV of OECI and Odebrecht Engenharia e Coonstrucao
- JV of China Railway Construction Corporation (International), China Railway Construction (Caribbean) and China Railway Construction Bridge Engineering Bureau Group
- Boskalis Guyana and Eiffage Genie Civil
- JV of Rizzani de Eccher and Preconco
The aim is for construction to begin in the last quarter of this year and be completed within two years.